Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Sanctuary

Sanctuary (n) -
    1. refuge: a safe place, especially for people being persecuted
    2. holy place: a holy place, e.g. a church, mosque, or temple
    I think all mothers worry as we send our precious families out into the filthy world. What will they hear? What will they see? How will they deal with the awfulness that daily faces them at school and work?



Sometimes we think that the answer to this worry is to keep them all home in our safe and sanctified homes. Yet perhaps the answer is to strive every day to make the contrast between the outside world and our family home starkly different.

Perhaps it is not so much sheltering and protecting them from the outside, but instead creating a holy sanctuary - and I did not say spotless - I said holy meaning peaceful, loving, spiritually powerful and joyful.

Perhaps we need to focus on creating a nurturing home for our children/spouses/self to come home to. A place like unto the temple that our Father has created to give us a time of peace and refuge from the noise, cares, and temptations  of the world.

These words and ideas, while mine, came from a conversation with my good friend, Jeri. She is amazing.

1 comment:

  1. What!?! I helped with that kind of wisdom?

    I think it was the Holy Ghost prompting you while I blah, blah, blahed.

    I was just reading this and thinking that it was so true and that I need to keep this my focus, and what an insightful and amazing woman and mother and friend you are!

    I'm constantly grateful to have a friend like you. You make me want to be my best self.

    ReplyDelete