I eventually married that boy with the bike. He went and took the money
he had saved to buy a Cannondale road bike and bought me this:
I never wear it.
I felt rather guilty that this boy who loved bicycling so much (second only to climbing to the top of mountains) spent all his money on a ring for me. So after we got a job in Texas (I really mean he, because as a teacher who hasn't worked very much or often - I've never made enough money to do much with) and we'd saved some money again, we went to the bike shop and I convinced him to buy this:
And 20+ years later he STILL rides it.
He, apparently not learning his lesson with the ring or the pre-marriage riding, decided that he wanted to have me come along on some rides and bought me this:
I loved this bike. I loved the color. Still do. I loved the idea. I didn't love riding the bike. Diamondback road bikes from that period were designed to stretch the rider out flat over the frame. Even if I as a rider was comfortable with that position, parts of my female anatomy are not. My oldest son now rides this bike.
So twenty three years after that first ride, my husband tried again. He mentioned around Mother's Day that he would like to ride with me, and that meant I would need a bike. This time instead of starting with the color, I started by riding. Oh he did once suggest buying a bike on-line, but I reminded him that the only way I would be sure to ride this bike was if I really felt comfortable on this bike. So we went to Performance, REI, and Bob's, and that other expensive store that I can't remember the name of but that had Cannondales for a pretty penny. And I rode bikes. I decided I like wider tires, upright handle bars, softer seats with lots of adjustment capability and a girl frame! I also like gears. A lot! I do not like shocks and I'm not fond of toe clips until my shoes are in them. And finally I learned that if I get the right bike I can adjust the seat upward slowly until I am comfortable riding it, then my knees won't hurt and at the same time I won't have to freak out that my toes barely brush the ground since I have practiced enough to remember to use the hand brakes.
So this is what he bought me:
Isn't it cute? It is fun to ride too. And I'm getting faster. I actually got up to 15 miles an hour for a little while last week. And on the 4th of July I rode 20 miles out through the countryside south of us and back. (Not at 15 miles an hour.) It was exhausting, but fun.
I have plans for this bike. Slightly skinnier tires, handle bars that are just a tad higher and a cyclocomputer if that boy ever finds the time to put it on my bike. Oh and a water bottle cage, because you need water if you go 20 miles and it is hard to take it from your boyfriend's hand, but you can do it if you are riding a really cute bike that fits your girl body and has an excellent seat. Now I could use a new helmet and pair of gloves. My red ones are clashing.




I've been saving your posts for a time when I had a few minutes to really enjoy them. It's never gonna happen.
ReplyDeleteBut somehow, I've finally read the last three, and LOVE IT!
You're really good at capturing the feelings, and I also married a hiking/biking geek(stud).
Thanks for sharing the fun stories. Where have you been? Keep writing! Your kids will be so glad to have these.
Love you!
p.s. I'm well on my way to the summer reading goals. Yeeehaw.
We went on a tour of the Idaho, Wyomimg, Utah border. Then I've been trying to catch up. Sorry we missed your trip.
ReplyDeleteI would have called this week, but - you might not have gotten this memo - I have five kids. They think I should pay attention to them. It is rather taxing on my ME time.
I'm reading too!