It is baseball season. I hate baseball.
It doesn't matter what level, pros or Little League; I hate it.
Well maybe not four year olds playing t-ball. That is kind of cute. For an hour.
And that is perhaps the biggest reason I HATE BASEBALL, the amount of time it takes out of life.
I have two sons playing this year. Thank goodness they are on the same team. They spend four days a week, most weeks, playing for at least an hour per day. If it is a game day it is three hours. Three hours for a game that moves as slow as molasses on a cold day in hell. And speaking of that cold day, baseball in early spring is.
I would do the happy dance if I never had to go to another baseball game. Really I would. But my sons kind of like it. So there I find myself, day after day waiting and waiting for it to end.
Usually I bring a book. Often I take a nap, but sometimes I pay attention. You know like when my kid is up to bat and other moments like that. (Moments that fill up about 15 minutes of the three hours. I get a lot of reading done. My husband suggests I should walk laps around the field. Maybe when the cold and wind quit, for that one day before it gets so hot that we can fry eggs on our heads.)
Anyway I do pay attention and think about things out at the field when I'm not reading or sleeping (which I did yesterday in a toasty car while the wind blew outside. Heaven.)
Those thoughts can be pretty good ones. Thoughts about how baseball is one of those things like life when you feel that you are completely on display for the world to critique and yet, most of the time nobody is actually paying a whole lot of attention to what you are doing, because life is not about you. Life is about me. Well you know what I mean. People are egocentric. Stop worrying already.
Which brings me to a more profound thought which is about batting. I can't bat. I can't throw or really run either. (Likely more reason behind my hate of the sport.) But I hear coaches tell batters to wait for it.
Don't let fear and anxiety make you swing too soon. Take a deep breath. Step into the batter's box and wait for it to come to you. Because it will.
Life will come to you and bless you if you banish the fear and stop worrying about the opinions of others. If you just relax and let it happen, the ball is going to slide right into place, and you will be able to hit it out of the park.
Unless you have an eight year old pitcher throwing at you. Then it will bean you in the head or pop you in the ankle...
Love it!
ReplyDeleteMy favorite frozen moment in time was when Andrew was in T-ball. His helmet and his pants were both too big, so he ran around the bases with one hand holding up the helmet and one holding up the pants. Cute.
Someone should give us a nickel for every practice and game we sit through.