Sunday, January 5, 2014

Four Words - 2014


Over the last few years I have chosen a theme for my year. In 2012 it was to be more mindful. 2013 was steadfast endurance in mindful faith. 

This year I was draw to this scriptural thought:


"they were...exceedingly valiant for courage, and also for strength and activity; 
but behold, this was not all - they were...true at all times..." 1 

This is a reference to the characteristics of 2,000 young soldiers. They were preparing for war, a war that they did not chose to enter, but that was thrust upon them by their enemy. They marched forth to protect their parents, their siblings, and others in their country. And they fought with exceeding courage and faith. They were strong and active men who above all were true to their families, their beliefs, and their God.

Now it might seem strange that I have been drawn to something written about people in war, but I find that I often feel like I am in a war. For [ I ] wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickness in high places. 2  Not that life is one continual fight, but there is often something unseen pulling me down, pushing me away from truth, or blocking me from feeling the joy and happiness that I am entitled to feel. 

And I am tired of it. 

Spencer W. Kimball taught that the fight against Satan and his forces “is not a little skirmish with a half-willed antagonist, but a battle royal with an enemy so powerful, entrenched, and organized that we are likely to be vanquished if we are not strong, well-trained, and watchful.”3


He continued, "[Satan] never sleeps—he is diligent and persevering. He analyzes carefully his problem and then moves forward diligently, methodically to reach that objective. He uses all five senses and man’s natural hunger and thirst to lead him away. He anticipates resistance and fortifies himself against it. He uses time and space and leisure. He is constant and persuasive and skillful. He uses such useful things as radio, television, the printed page, the airplane, and the car to distort and damage. He uses the gregariousness of man, his loneliness, his every need to lead him astray. He does his work at the most propitious time in the most impressive places with the most influential people. He overlooks nothing that will deceive and distort and prostitute. He uses money, power, force. He entices man and attacks at his weakest spot. He takes the good and creates ugliness. … He uses every teaching art to subvert man." 4

No wonder I am tired.

So I have decided to arm myself better this year and I have four words and some plans to help me.

The words are Courage, Strength, Activity, and Truth.

When I am down, I will repeat them to myself. When I feel like the world is over powering me, I will repeat them. When I am sure that the very gates of hell are gaping open against me, I will speak them out loud.

I will ponder them and I will think of witty blog posts about them. And sometimes I will manage to remember them long enough to type them up and share.

I will also read the Book of Mormon as fast as I can in the next few days and weeks and post what I learn each day on Facebook, because I am evil and vague like that. Only those of you who read to the end of this post will know that is what is going on. And you will feel like you are part of my team cheering me on in battle. 

Or you won't. I am okay either way, but thought I'd let you in on my victory in case you've got nothing better to do with yourself.

So off I go merrily along through another year. I'm kind of excited to see what happens and what I learn. I know it will be soul shaping what ever it is.




4 comments:

  1. Love it. The Book of Mormon has so much in it to help us! All those war chapters are there for a reason - to help us learn how to fight our battles. Looking forward to your FB posts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll join you on the journey! Mom

    ReplyDelete