Originally written September 11, 2004
Three years ago, I watched with the rest of the world as the hate of some men brought down the Twin Towers and destroyed the lives of many people and families in one life shaking event.
The morning had started out crazy as most morning are in a house with four little people. Our fourth child had been born three weeks earlier. I was not completely recovered from that experience and I was sleep deprived like most moms of new babies. That morning, I busily tried to get all four of the kids dressed and out the door for my daughter's second dance class which started at 9:15 MDT.
About 8:45 the phone rang. My dear friend in Texas, Kelly, called to let me know that something big was happening. To be honest, I didn't really have the time or the emotional strength to care. We talked for a few minutes while I finished dressing everyone and then out the door the kids and I went. We arrived at dance only a few minutes late and then I took time to breathe and figure out what was going on back East.
I remember turning on the van radio and listening to Peter Jennings talk about these planes that had flown into buildings. My brain struggled to wrap around and truly understand this momentous disaster. At that point, I'm not sure that many of us in the country really understood what was going on. The other early memory that I have is of running into Idaho Camera to drop off 35mm film to be developed. They had a television on there. I saw footage of the planes flying into the towers and the towers collapsing.
Then I went home. My oldest had afternoon kindergarten. I got him lunch and kept watching the coverage of the terrorist attack. It was surreal. I remember seeing the planes crash into the buildings over and over and still it didn't seem possible that anyone could get on a plane and fly it, themselves, and hundreds of innocent people to their deaths purposely. I saw the footage of the towers coming down. The dust and debris rolling endlessly. I saw people crying and staring. Still my mind couldn't comprehend this huge tragedy caused completely by human hate.
In the days that followed I tried, with the rest of the country to understand what had just happened. I also slipped, like many others, into a fog of depression. I wasn't doing very well physically and emotionally to begin with. The fourth baby's birth had been a bit of a surprise right from the beginning. Then when he arrived, the rest of the family started into a bought of stomach and intestinal flu. Tad was the only one to escape the sickness, and he tried his best to keep us all going, and while he was able to take some time off work still pulled at him too.
It had been a busy and rough three weeks of struggle right up to September 11, and I wasn't in any shape to deal with the emotions that a major terrorist attach on my country brought into my life. But I had no choice in the matter.
I spent several weeks walking around wondering why, such a terrible thing had happened and trying to find the energy to work through it and move on emotionally. About the end of September, I came out of the fog induced by pregnancy, child birth, sickness, and terrorist disasters. Finally I began to be able to deal with life and process the events that occurred in Pennsylvania,Washington DC, and most of all New York.
Through the ensuing months, I began to be able to consider the events of September 11th and the thousands of years of history that lead up to them. Yet, I still don't feel satisfied and settled.
Nothing on earth, created by mankind, can fix the holes that hate rips. Nothing can truly help me understand how men and women harboring that much hate could be raised and allowed to unleash that searing hate on the world. I do not understand how there can be mothers and fathers in the world, so wrapped up in their own beliefs, culture, and selves that they could be intentionally cruel to people they don't even know in such a final way.
I simple don't understand that way of thought. And I feel pretty powerless before it's fury.
But I have determined that I can do something. Perhaps it is very small, but I feel sure in its own way, it is powerful.
I can love others, one person at a time. I can teach my children, and other children about caring for others. I can continue a quest in myself and others to move forward toward understanding and love of others even when we don't agree or even accept what they stand for. Other people have intrinsic worth. I can teach and show respect for that eternal principle.
Humans have faults. Humans are all different. Humans just won't always agree, but they can still find a way to value something in another human as small as that something might appear.
I can be a positive influence for good in the lives of others. I can value the people I call Children of God; in other words, everyone. And I can smile at people. It takes very little effort to smile, but it does so much good for so many people.
On September 11, 2001, so much was destroyed through hate. I may never in my whole life touch as many people as those few men did in their moments of angry destruction, but I am going to continue to move forward with love anyway. I am going to continue smiling at people, continue plucking the unkind and unworthy thoughts from my mind, continue striving to be a builder instead of a basher.
I add my voice to that of Phillip Paul Bliss, the write and composer of More Holiness Give Me:
More holiness give me,
More strivings within,
More patience in suff'ring,
More sorrow for sin,
More faith in my Savior,
More sense of his care,
More joy in his service,
More purpose in prayer.
More gratitude give me,
More trust in the Lord,
More pride in his glory,
More hope in his word,
More tears for his sorrows,
More pain at his grief,
More meekness in trial,
More praise for relief.
More purity give me,
More strength to o'ercome,
More freedom from earth-stains,
More longing for home.
More fit for the kingdom,
More used would I be,
More blessed and holy--
More, Savior, like thee.
No comments:
Post a Comment