Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Wasting Time is Spelled facebook

This post title could also be finished with angry birds, tv, and in some LIMITED (well not really limited because how would I actually live?) cases goodreads. (Books are like air. Necessary right? Scratch goodreads and the library website. I NEVER waste time on them.) (Sigh.) It is so easy to waste time.

Life is full of choices. The big ones are usually easy at this point since I've pretty much made previous decisions that have placed me in a spot where I am unlikely to spend my time hanging out on a corner with less than desirable friends getting into trouble peddling illegal wares. And I have no time slotted to spend getting drunk or shooting guns, so I suspect that murder is not in my future. (Although a post about driving a 2 ton killer Suburban, sometimes badly, may appear in the future.)

It is the littler things I struggle with each day. My friend Char wrote a great post here about prioritizing tasks in our lives.

http://joyinthemoments.com/2012/06/18/rocks-pebbles-and-sand/

She talks about the object lesson using rocks, pebbles, and sand. You know take care of the rocks first, then the pebbles, then the sand although how anybody has energy for sand by that point in the day if they actually did all the rocks and even just some of the pebbles - (unless it is facebook) - I don't know...

I digress.

Her point is that many of us have got the rocks down pretty well in our lives. We read scriptures and pray daily (in some form or other - these are rocks people not polished diamonds). We care for our families in the ways that we feel most directed. Some of our other personal rocks vary: temple worship, dates with our spouse, service to others outside our homes, exercise - stuff like that.

She says she has trouble when it comes to pebbles. And I totally concur. The things that are important to get done, but not always every day are the hardest to accomplish even when you have the rocks in the jar. Things like DOING THE DISHES. (I HATE DISHES!!!! I HATE NAGGING MY KIDS TO DO DISHES!!! IN A PERFECT WORLD WE WOULD STOP EATING AND NEEDING DISHES!!!)

I am waiting eagerly for her next posts on how to prevent these pebbles from becoming rocks by breaking them down into sand. Sounds fascinating.

Meanwhile I'm trying to find a balance once I've got all the rocks into the day. A few pebbles (Did I tell you that yesterday I organized the front closet, washed all the jackets on its floor, cleaned out the school backpacks, put in them the currently on-hand school supplies for the fall, and posted the supply lists in the cupboard where I can find them again. Did I mention that? Yes it was amazing.) Then a little sand. (Read two books, played jewels, and surfed the web all on my bestest and newest toys that might just help me find a few of those lost pieces of my mind because it has a calendar. I LOVE IT. IF IT COULD DO DISHES I WOULD BECOME POLYGAMOUS!!!)


(oh yeah........ and i did some dishes. not enough..............)

But back to the title of this post - facebook. On the first Tuesday of June I listened to two woman who are both closer to 70 than 60 years old bicker over the use of facebook. One said, "It is a waste of time. No one should use it." The other, "I love it. I keep in touch with so many people through it, including my son who would never tell me anything otherwise."

Seriously this wasn't just a minute or two of the evening. This "discussion" wove its way through a good portion of the night. I came home amused and sadden by their behavior and pondering my use of facebook and really of the internet.

Is it a time waster/sand? Yes. Is it a tool for keeping close to family and friends or gaining knowledge/rock? Yes.


So what am I going to do with that? (Until Char gives me the key to managing the universe that is me and my time)  I guess I'm going to try and use it better (THANKS TO MY TABLET!!! CAN YOU BELIEVE CHEAP US BOUGHT A TABLET??? YES IT WAS AN INCREDIBLE DEAL!!! OH AND DID I SAY I LOVE IT!!!) And I'm going to delete that stupid jewels game on it. Probably tomorrow.

1 comment: