It is prom season.
I didn't go to my prom.
Maybe because I was shy. Although I'd gotten a lot better by high school. Maybe I was awkward. Or maybe the boys were scared of me: a smart and talented young woman.
For whatever reason, not dating much at all in high school made me sad. And while college was much better, I still wasn't finding a great marriage material that seemed interested in me.
At some point during college, probably around the time I went on the one date with the frog who would be my handsome prince - but who just wasn't ever going to change like that, I went to lunch with my father at the Sands Cafe in Rock Springs.
The Sands served the best Chinese food that I have ever eaten. Their lo mein was amazing and not yet matched by any Chinese restaurant I've since visited.
My dad and I had a good talk during which I poured out my frustration about dating and looking for a compatible marriage partner. He said something I will never forget.
"You are a queen. Sometimes young men take awhile to realize that they are looking for more than a sweet and pretty princess. Some men never realize it. But the man who will marry you will recognize your royal and divine qualities and love you for them."

Perfect.
ReplyDelete