Friday, April 5, 2013

Mazes and Jousting and ELEPHANTS, Oh My!

Did you know that deep in the heart of Texas lurks the essence of the middle ages?

For several weekends from mid October to December, otherwise normal people dress up and play at being knights, ladies, and whatever this guy is

On November 4, 1992, Tad and I drove north to the boonies past Magnolia and found the Renaissance Period stirring in the woods.

We saw the King and Queen, knights and ladies, barbarians, gypsies, jugglers, snake charmers, glass blowers, a black smith, bakers, and candle makers. AND LOTS OF FOOD including turkey legs.

I personally didn't want a turkey leg. Instead we had muffulettas. (Which are actually a sandwich originating in New Orleans which has nothing to do with the Renaissance, but they taste REALLY GOOD.)



Tad tried out being King

We watched the jousting


Found the center of the maze



And I rode an elephant (with somebody else's kids)

It was a fabulous day.

1 comment: